Monday 23 January 2012

Caesar Salad
This is the first of the recipes from the randomly generated list as well as my first recipe for Good Eats: The Early Years. I was somewhat skeptical about this recipe, I just couldn't see the ingredients comingling into the Caesar salad I was used to. This was true to some degree, I wouldn't say the recipe is flawed it just produces a dressing that is much more subtly flavoured then your average grocery store brand. It could be that this recipe is closer to what Caesar created back in the 20's. Legend has it that on July 4th 1924 Caesar Cardini created his namesake salad at his restaurant in Mexico. I wonder what he would think of the salad now a days? Anyways, I would encourage anyone who is culinarily curious to give this recipe a try you may never look at a Caesar salad the same way again.

The recipe calls for raw eggs which I was a little skeptical about at first, but there where no ill effects. Besides the chances of getting salmonella from eggs is about 1 in 10,000. For me the best part of the recipe was the croutons, crispy, garlicky and delicious. Bacon was also a nice touch but somewhat deviant of the original recipe.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/hail-caesar-salad-recipe/index.html (Link is now fixed)

The recipe said use a bowl that was twice as big as
you think you need, excellent advice




No comments:

Post a Comment