Thursday 26 July 2012

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies


Merry 151 days until Christmas, that's right only 4 months and 30 days left to finish your Christmas shopping. So why am I making Christmas cookies in July? Well that's what my random recipe generator told me to do and I figure I will have a leg up come the holiday season. This cookie looks impressive and will sure get you some nods at the various Christmas events we all attend. Though this recipe is not super difficult I would say if you have not made sugar cookies before this is not the one to start with.

The recipe starts off with a typical sugar cookie dough which is then divided in half to become the chocolate portion and the peppermint portion. The chocolate half gets melted chocolate and vanilla, while the peppermint half gets peppermint extract and candy canes. Since it is July candy canes are in short supply, although I did find a couple kicking around the house. For the rest mint candies have to play the part. Once the doughs have been mixed up and allowed time to rest comes the challenge, rolling the doughs together. The peppermint dough is placed on top of the chocolate and the fun begins. In the episode of Good Eats Alton Brown uses a flexible cutting board to assist in rolling. I don't have one such cutting board so I just went for broke and starting rolling. This produced a lot of cracks in the dough and bits falling off, it was not a pretty sight. I did manage to complete the roll and stick on all the pieces that had fallen off. To my surprise when I cut the cookies the insides looked a lot better than the outsides and I ended up with something similar to the pictures in the book. Some practice I'm sure would help, good thing it is only July. As for the taste it is a solid sugar cookies that will fill you with Christmas cheer.


Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookie Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment