Sunday 4 March 2012

Beef Tongue 


This one is not for the squeamish. After two months of waiting I finally have made the recipe that inspired the random recipe challenge. When I got the Joy of Cooking for Christmas the first page I opened it to was beef tongue and from then on I was really curious about what beef tongue tasted like. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised about both the flavour and texture of the meat, it was very tender and had a nice beefy taste. I would bet that in a blind taste test most people (myself included) would not be able to pick out that they were eating tongue.

Cooked tongue with skin on

Sliced tongue. BBQ sauce was a nice addition
Despite all positive press I just gave it above I have to admit it was a little weird. Taking it out of the pot it looked like some kind of alien coming out of the black lagoon. To make matters even more interesting the tongue still had the skin on it which included prickly little hairs type things. If you have ever been licked by a cat you will know what I am talking about. The skin actually came off pretty easily after being cooked, I didn't even need a knife it just pulled right off.

As for the recipe it was zen simple: veggies in a pot (I cheated a little and used a slow cooker), add the tongue, cover with water and cook low and slow for at least 3 to 4 hours. I would encourage the more culinarly advertuous to try it, I would definitely make it again.


If anyone has any comments on the recipes or the blog they can be left by clicking the comment link below, I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment